Thursday 16 February 2017

Why I still love EduTwitter

EduTwitter can seem like a bit of a dark place at times. Take yesterday for example. That George Monbiot article really seemed to polarise opinion; especially amongst some quarters who, amongst other things, seemed pretty annoyed that someone who isn't a teacher had something to say about the current educational system. For me, there were things I agreed with:

1. Our exams systems is archaic. 
2. The curriculum is too narrow. 
3. The best teachers use character, creativity and inspiration. 
4. Teachers are leaving the profession in their droves.
5. Children love learning. 
6. Forest schools are great. 

And things I disagreed with:

1. Not all teachers 'stuff kids with facts'
2. Schools teach skills that are redundant.
3. The Essa Academy is what we should be aspiring towards. 
4. We should ditch traditional subjects. 

What I came away with is that, yes, the education system needs serious reform. However, we're not going to get from here to there (if that's where we want to be) overnight. I suppose what's really reassuring is that debates are even happening. Ten years ago teachers didn't have such a platform to voice and challenge different views. 

Anyhow, this wasn't really the focus of the post. Having read much of the debate yesterday I was reminded that I am very much guilty of only reading philosophers and ed theorists that confirm my own worldview. So, I asked EduTwitter for a bit of guidance. Within minutes people responded. So, I'd like to thank the following for their help and suggestions:

@mfordhamhistory 

RS Peters
Michael Young

@imagineinquiry 

Kieran Egan
Gert Biesta

@EdSacredProfane

Margaret Archer
Dave Elder-Vass

@GFThommo 

Ranciere

@MrMStuchbery 

Nietzsche 

@complexsoc1

Brent Davis and Dennis Sumara
John Creswell

@sputniksteve

Stephen Gorard


And the less helpful @nickcorston, @gracerobinson46@chrisrossiter and @for suggesting I read The Daily Mail......

Again, this evening I asked for a bit more help with a session I'm delivering tomorrow about teaching history through film. Having posted the question 'what's the #BestHistoricalFilm?' I was inundated with awesome suggestions. I don't have the time to list all the responses but would like to thank the following tweeters for some great suggestions:

@memneon
@Sue_Cowley
@ian_bec
@Gwenelope
@DisIdealist
@Wp1Wendy
@Phillallman1
@brighton118
@complexsoc1
@cjs76
@zwalfy
@EYBrofessional
@_PaulHamilton
@SkimStoneTheatr
@DackBlog
@TeaLadyJune
@GlynRogers
@Joga5
@MooreNixie8
@JonHegerty
@kenradical
@NLWallis
@Thembinkosi
@5N_Afzal

Apologies if I've left anyone off the list but trying to write this quickly so I can watch a film! 

Guess what I'm trying to say is that Twitter is still a wonderful place to connect with fellow educators. Promote and challenge ideas and share great practice. It's probably worth remembering that. 

Finally, shameless plug:

If you're interested in joining the #debatED then please get involved on a Tuesday evening between 8.30 - 9pm. 




No comments:

Post a Comment